I must be going for some kind of record

This is my second transfusion this week.

To recap, I finished up a round of Ara-C  this past Friday and 6Tg (thioguanine) this Sunday.  I went in to the office for my weekly CBC and checkup on Monday only to hear that my hemoglobin was really low and I was going into Oconee Memorial for a transfusion on Tuesday.  While I was at OMH getting my two units on Tues, P ended up walking over to the Cancer Center to force someone to listen to him because he thought I needed platelets since I was covered in petechiae.  It was a good thing, too, because my platelets had dropped from 16,000 to 9,000 in a day.  Anyway, I ended up spending the day at the hospital getting two units of blood and one unit of platelets.  Wednesday, I went up to the AIC at Greenville Memorial for my chemo, vincristine and good ‘ole Erwinia.  It was uneventful, I was exhausted and I slept a lot that day.  Mom came over to sit with me until she had to take off for her play.  I ended up having to call P because I felt so awful and because I was having some abdominal pain, indicating another episode of diverticulitis.  On Thursday, P called and got me an afternoon appointment so we could get the pain addressed before it got out of hand again.  They set me up with a liter of fluid, some morphine, and another antibiotic.  All was well.  I went home and slept a lot more.

Sometime around midnight I, um, “passed” a fair amount of blood and I had a fever of 100.2 degrees.  P called whomever was on-call and talked about what to do.  Normally this is a “straight-to-the-ER” type of situation, but my neutrophils (the infection fighters) were depleted and the ER is a hotbox of germs and disease.  The on-call doctor decided that we could wait until today since I would already be at the hospital for chemo.  However, I needed to tell the AIC nurses what had happened  before we got started.  They went back and forth with my doctor’s office and the ultimate decision was to hold off on my chemo and to give me two more units and another unit of platelets.  P and I played the waiting game while I got crossed and typed and then I got the news that I needed to be admitted.  When the on-call NP came to admit me, she laid on the news that I may need to see a GI specialist and that I may need to stay the whole weekend.  Yay.

So here I am.  I just finished my crappy hospital dinner and I’m getting my second unit of blood.  After it finishes, my nurse has to draw blood for labs and I don’t really know what is going to happen next.  P and I are both a bit on edge and we’re grumping at each other.  He took off in the hopes that he would get to see the kids before mom took them for the night.

So there ya go.  That’s what’s going on.  At least it’s not pneumonia this time.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: